Wrestling handles Ohio in Athens

Wrestling team group photo posted to the Kent State Wrestling twitter account (@KentStWrestling). The team poses with the “Grudge Match” rivalry trophy that Kent State and Ohio University compete over after Kent won 22-10 in Athens. Feb. 7, 2021.

Mason Lawlor Sports Reporter

Kent State wrestling took care of business in Athens on Sunday afternoon, handling the Bobcats 22-10 at the Convocation Center.  The Flashes are now 4-3 on the season and 3-1 in Mid-American Conference games.  

The Flashes’ top wrestlers performed well, with senior Jake Ferri winning his eighth straight match to open the day. Redshirt sophomore Brendon Fenton followed it up by earning an 8-6 decision at 133.

Among other standouts, junior Kody Komara won a tight 1-0 match, while sophomores Tyler Bates and James Limongi both dominated their Bobcat opponents 4-1 and 7-1, respectively.  

Ohio crept back later in the meet, as Bobcat redshirt freshman John Mark Williams upset Kent’s sophomore Xavier Torres, cutting the Flashes’ lead to 12-10. From there, Kent took the last eight points of the meet and put away the Bobcats. 

During the 8-point finishing stretch, redshirt sophomore Jacob Cover defeated Jordan Earnest of OU 5-3. Junior Colin McCracken continued his solid wrestling, winning a 14-4 decision at 197. McCracken has six wins total in the 2020-2021 season.  

Kent will be facing Northern Illinois University and Edinboro on Friday at home. The meet will be played round robin style with no team score. The event is scheduled to start at noon. 

Mason Lawlor is a sports reporter. Contact him at [email protected].