The Rec has more to offer than just treadmills

Andy Hanson, exercise science major at the University of Akron, tackles one of the hardest routes during a bouldering competition at the Kent State Rec center. Hanson said he enjoyed bouldering because it was something new and exciting to do. Photo by Rachael Le Goubin

Nick Shook

Adventure Center rentals

For outdoor trips, river adventures or bike outings, the Adventure Center has all the equipment students need.

“It is top of the line gear and students are paying a very small fee,” said Jared Skaggs, program officer for Outdoor Adventure.

Students can rent a variety of camping and boating gear such as a two-person tent for $5 per day or $10 for the weekend.

Canoes and kayaks can be rented, and Crooked River Adventures also offers trips along the Cuyahoga River with return transportation to Tannery Park, said Skaggs.

“I would recommend making a reservation because a lot of people love the canoe and kayak trips and it is absolutely gorgeous,” said Joseph Bass, Adventure Center Intern. “But my favorite part of the Adventure Center is the climbing wall.”

Anyone can climb the 35-foot wall after he or she passes the free Safety and Skills Test for $4 a visit, said Bass.

“A lot of students use the Flashfleet to rent bikes for day trips, but for longer trips, the Adventure Center rents bikes and bike racks for up to a week,” said Bass.

To rent camping and hiking, boating or bike equipment, students can visit the pro shop in the Student Recreation and Wellness Center.

— Alexandra Fagan

The massive building found on Summit Road near the edge of campus offers more than your basic indoor recreational activities.

Aside from standard amenities and dining options, the Student Recreation and Wellness Center also provides things to do outside its walls.

Students and members can rent canoe packages that include boats, paddles and life jackets. Wetsuits are also available. Kayak rental and tubing are available for Crooked River adventures.

Is paddling down the Cuyahoga River not your thing? Well you’re still in luck, as the Rec also offers camping packages, including tents, cookware, sleeping bags and backpacks. Students can even rent snowshoes for winter adventures. All camping equipment items are available to rent with single day, week or weekend rates, with student membership discounts.

Mountain bike rental is also available for thrill-seekers who enjoy an off-road trek. Traditional bicycles are available via Flashfleet.

The Rec includes an aquatics center, complete with a lazy river, Jacuzzi and lap pool.

In addition, Kent State students who like rock climbing use the Rec’s indoor wall, located at the end of the basketball courts.

Kent State boasts its own ice arena, a rare find for a state school. Intramurals and individual classes are offered to students, as well as open skate sessions.

Those who enjoy running competitively can participate in either the Black Squirrel 5k race or the Bowman Cup 5k race. The latter is first on the schedule, slated for an 8 a.m. start on Oct. 5 — Homecoming weekend. The Black Squirrel 5k is scheduled for 8 a.m. on April 13.

Program Fees

Equipment rental:

The Rec provides all necessary equipment for climbing. Climbers may use their own harnesses with wall staff approval. All climbers must use the provided belay devices, carabineers and ropes.

Harness: Free

Shoes: $2

Chalk bag: $0.50

Shoe punch pass: 10 for $15

Chalk punch pass: 15 for $5

Climbing wall

Students have two options for using the Student Recreation and Wellness Center climbing wall. Option 1 is to pass a free Safety and Skills Test to receive unlimited access to the climbing wall for four months. An optional Introduction to Climbing Clinic is also available to teach students the skills to pass the test and use the wall. Option 2 is to pay $4 for each visit and climb with staff assistance.

Crooked River Adventures:

Tubing at a fee of $5 per hour. Proper footwear is required to rent tubes and flip-flops are not permitted. Bicycle rentals are also available for use along local trails at a fee of $5 per hour. All bikes must be returned by 7 p.m.

Reservations:

During the week, trips are only offered on a reservation basis for groups of five or more. Interested participants can call 330-541-7467 to place a reservation.

Crooked River Adventures is open to patrons on a drop-in basis from 7:30 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. on weekends. However, reservations are strongly recommended as trips often fill up quickly.

Contact Nick Shook at [email protected].