Flashes field hockey warming up their sticks for the 2012 season

Sophomore midfielder Alyssa McFerren attempts a shot on goal against Central Michigan during the MAC title semi-finals on Friday, Nov. 4 in Athens, Ohio. The Flashes beat the Chippewas 4-1. Photo by Matt Hafley.

Aja Phillips

The Kent State University field hockey squad has been practicing in the August heat and

will be starting their regular season looking to gel as a complete team.

The Flashes will open its 38th season at Murphy-Mellis field; hosting Indiana at noon on

Friday. This season’s roster features nine new incoming freshmen.

Lone returning senior Andrea Camut said this season will be a constant process of

learning and growth.

Last year’s record: 8-13 Overall

Season opener: Kent State has won three out of four game openers.

Who’s next: Kent State continues its opening weekend on Sunday Aug 26 with their

second home game against James Madison at 12pm.

“I’m looking forward to growing as a team overall,” Camut said. “We have a lot of talent

even though we are really young when we all come together we are really good”.

Freshman Karleigh Carlin is new to the team and looking forward to the first game.

“I’m so excited it’s going to be really fun,” Carlin said, “It’s different going from high

school to college so it’s going to be real exciting to be with a whole new team.”

Camut said despite the youth and inexperience of the team, the Flashes have already

started to form chemistry.

“The team is very strong when they play together,” Camut said. “I think we have a lot of

different personalities that balance the team.”

Contact Aja Phillips at [email protected].