Women’s basketball team narrowly defeats Ohio Bobcats

Lance Lysowski

Kent State’s defensive effort helped the team overcome a poor shooting performance last night at Ohio as they defeated the Bobcats 55-54.

With just under four minutes to play in the game, Kent State senior forward Chenel

Harris hit a 3-pointer to give the Flashes the 53-49 lead.

Final score

Kent State: 55

Ohio University: 54

Game highlights

• Kent State senior forward Chenel Harris hit a 3-pointer
  • Ohio sophomore guard Ashley Fowler surrendered the ball to Tayler Stanton
  • KSU did not allow a field goal attempt before time expired

The Bobcats responded three possessions later with a lay-in by freshman guard Shavon Robinson on a fast break to draw within two. The Flashes were given two possessions to add to their lead, but the team’s poor shooting continued.

With 1:38 to play, Ohio sophomore guard Ashley Fowler capitalized on Kent State’s mishaps when she hit a shot from behind the arc to give the Bobcats the 54-53 lead.

The Flashes’ hopes seemed to be gone when senior forward Taisja Jones turned the ball over on the ensuing possession. The Bobcats took over possession with just over a minute left to play when Fowler surrendered the ball to Kent State freshman forward

Tayler Stanton.

Stanton dished the ball to Harris, but the senior forward missed the jumper. Jones grabbed the offensive rebound and lobbed it to Stanton, who gave the Flashes a 55-54 lead with a lay-in.

“I thought Tayler made some big plays,” Kent State coach Bob Lindsay said. “She came in off the bench and gave us a lift. In a game where we weren’t getting a whole lot of life from many people, Tayler was a bright spot.”

Kent State’s defense buckled down and did not allow a field goal attempt before time expired as they extended their winning streak to three games.

Jones led all scorers for the Flashes with 17 points; Harris added 13 and Stanton seven.

“It was an ugly win,” Lindsay said. “It was a road win, though, and we found enough in us to win.”

The Flashes will have to improve their offensive game on Saturday when they host the Mid-American Conference Defending Champions, Bowling Green, at 2 p.m.

“We need to practice a whole lot better,” Lindsay said. “We need to understand we’re playing, arguably, the best team in the MAC, and we need to practice like it.”

Contact Lance Lysowski at [email protected].