Katia Rodriguez

Director of Communication and Marketing Candidate for USG. 

Director of Communication and Marketing Candidate 

Q: What is your platform?

A: “One of the main reasons why I wanted to run in general is because I don’t see a lot of women representation, especially women of color. That was kind of the main thing I wanted to do before I leave because I am a junior. I’m really passionate about communication and marketing and being in the PR world. I’ve had internships in the past working with social media that have helped me create the confidence I’ve had today in the marketing world. Because of that, I really feel that someone should be in that position that kind of knows a little bit about marketing and has relationships with student organizations already. I feel that being a part of Salsa that I kind of did a really good job of creating genuine connections with organizations to navigate where I am at today. One of the main things that I am really passionate about is being transparent with the Kent State Community. I noticed that while looking at USG social media there wasn’t a lot of information about allocation money, because the allocation just ran out recently. So, the way it was handled with the communication wasn’t very strong. I feel like there should have been more of a warning to the Kent State community, especially student organizations. The communication could be better with the public and USG.”  

Q: Why should people vote for you?

A: “I have a lot of experience, just being a part of Salsa and doing their social media. Before that position, I was the event coordinator. So I have experience with leadership on campus. When I first started coming here, Salsa was the first organization I wanted to join. It was only the board members and me and another student that would come to these meetings, it was the only two people to come to the meeting consistently. Now we have 20-25 people that come to our meetings consistently and so I think that is a really big achievement. It’s not just me, it’s a team effort that came into that. It’s a big achievement for my organization.” 

Q: What changes are you looking to enact within USG?

A: “I really want to be a voice for the students, especially for the underrepresented students. I have really great connections on campus that not a lot of students have, especially with underrepresented students like in the black community, with Latinos and with international students as well. I think that is something that is really unique and I can really bring that to the table and speak on their behalf but do it in a respectful way.”