Lacrosse suffers worst loss of the season against Central Michigan

Freshman attacker Morgan Kubicki [12] cradles the ball during the women’s lacrosse game on Mar. 8, 2020 against University of Cincinnati. Kent State University lost 8-25.

Jacob Shondel, Reporter

The Kent State women’s lacrosse team has never beaten Central Michigan in the program’s four-year history. On Thursday, CMU made sure that streak continued. 

The Flashes lost 20-6, their worst loss of the season. Coach Brianne Tierney said the start by the Chippewas was just too much to overcome. 

“They’re a strong team and came out and dominated the first quarter,” she said. “Losing the draw 9-3 and giving up three free position goals is not going to help anyone establish any momentum to start the game.” 

Kent State falls to 2-6 on the season and 0-3 in Mid-American Conference play, leaving them at the bottom of the conference. Central Michigan, second in the conference, is 4-3 and 2-0 in the league. 

CMU opened the game with six straight goals ,and the Flashes trailed 9-1 at the end of the first quarter.

“They [CMU] got off to a fast start, and we were just never able to get our offense going,” Tierney said. “They’re so good at reading the matchup and making the correct passes. You need to be playing full team defense to have a chance to stop them, and having so many threats on offense only makes it harder.”

KSU went into halftime trailing 12-2. 

During the first half, Central Michigan won the draw 12-4 and forced seven turnovers. 

“We have to get off to a fast start with the draw, ground balls and limiting our turnovers,” Tierney said. “That’s what caused us to fall behind early and force us to play catch up the rest of the game.” 

During halftime, the Flashes were able to make some adjustments.

“Just being more confident and starting the half with some energy is what we needed,” Tierney said. 

KSU won all four draws during the third quarter and held CMU to two goals. 

But the Chippewas dominated again in the fourth quarter, scoring six goals, winning the draw 6-3 and scoring on all three free-position shots. 

Tierney said the team has to find a way to make good things happen. 

“Being mentally tougher and just doing your part is what we need right now — having personal accountability and just trusting each other,” she said. “We have to stop making excuses. [This game] put a spotlight on the areas where we struggle — the draw and ground balls at the start of our games in particular.”

KSU had 19 shots, with eight on goal; CMU had 43 shots, with 27 on goal.

The Flashes remain on the road as they travel to Milwaukee Saturday to take on Marquette (3-4). 

“I think this group still has a chance to do something special. They never stop fighting, and eventually, that attitude is going to pay off,” Tierney said. 

Jacob Shondel is a reporter. Contact him at [email protected].