Rocky start dooms lacrosse team as it loses its fourth straight game

Savannah Monks

Sophomore midfielder Madison Rapier (10) shoots the ball during the women’s lacrosse game on Mar. 10, 2020. Kent State University lost to Saint Francis University 18-13.

Jacob Shondel, Reporter

Just as it had against Central Michigan Thursday, Kent State women’s lacrosse fell far behind early against Marquette on Saturday and lost its fourth straight game 20-5.

It was the Flashes’ largest loss of the season. Coach Brianne Tierney said Marquette’s fast start was too much to overcome.

“They started the game strongly and capitalized on our mistakes,” she said. “We struggled early in the game, turning the ball over and allowed the cutting lanes to be open, allowing open shots.

“We were just so late getting into our defensive sets, and we just couldn’t catch up.”

The Flashes trailed 15-1 at halftimes, similar to its 12-2 deficit against Central Michigan.

In the first halves of the two games, KSU lost the draw a combined 20-10, committed 20 turnovers and allowed 27 goals.

“Momentum is so crucial, and we just have not been able to get any lately early in the game,” Tierney said. “If we can get some shots to find the back of the net, it will help us; having a little bit of luck on our side wouldn’t hurt either.”

Kent State falls to 2-7. Marquette improves to 4-4.

The Eagles scored the game’s first six goals and ended the quarter with a 9-1 lead. KSU committed eight turnovers and allowed two free-position goals.

In the second quarter, Marquette forced five turnovers, only allowed two KSU shots and scored seven goals. Kent State went into halftime, trailing 15-1.

Tierney said Kent State was able to make adjustments, just as it had against Central Michigan when the Flashes held CMU to two goals in the third quarter.

“We made it an emphasis to cut the turnovers down and to just be more confident out there,” Tierney said. “We kept fighting till the end of the game; hopefully, that momentum can carry into our next game.”

In the second half, the Flashes forced six Marquette turnovers and only allowed five goals.

“We ran a full mini, which allowed us to go from offense to defense a little easier, so we weren’t on our heels getting into the defensive end,” Tierney said. “Then we were getting people out there with fresh legs.”

Tierney said that the next game will be important.

“We have to forget the games against Central Michigan and Marquette; it’s a new season,” she said. “It’s going to be crucial that we get off to a good start against Youngstown State.”

During the game, midfielder Madison Rapier scored her 50th career goal.

“It wasn’t till after the game when I found out, but it’s a good feeling,” Rapier said. “I wouldn’t have been able to do it without the help of my teammates along the way.”

Tierney is happy to have Rapier back out on the field.

“She [Rapier] told me a couple of months ago that she wanted to play every minute,” Tierney said. “But at the time, she was dealing with an injury, and we needed to make sure she was healthy before coming back.

“I’m glad we have her back out there, and she’s starting to look like her old self again.”

Kent State (0-3 Mid-American Conference) will take on Youngstown State (2-0 MAC) at 6 p.m. Thursday at Dix Stadium.

“This game can be turning the point of the season,” Rapier said. “We need to come out strong and play as a team, so we can capture that first MAC win.”

Jacob Shondel is a reporter. Contact him at [email protected].