Field hockey’s offense finally gets started in 3-2 win over Bucknell

Isabella Schreck, Sports Editor

Through Saturday, the Kent State field hockey team had scored only one goal all season.

Sunday, the Flashes scored three goals in three minutes in the third period and went on to beat Bucknell 3-2.

Kent State, picked to finish second in the conference, is 2-2 this season. The Flashes beat Indiana 1-0 in overtime in their season opener, then lost 9-0 to No. 6 Liberty in Indiana.

In its home opener Saturday, KSU lost to No. 10 Syracuse 5-0.

In Sunday’s game, Kent State trailed Bucknell, now 0-3 on the season, 2-0 at the half.

The Flashes’ scoring flurry started with six minutes left in the third period when junior midfielder Jenna McCrudden scored on a pass from senior midfielder Maria Cambra Soler.

Junior fullback Alex Sacker scored on a penalty corner a minute later. Sophomore midfielder Agustina Florio scored on another penalty corner three minutes later.

Kent State led the game in shots and shots on goal, 17-11 and 10-7.

On Saturday, Syracuse landed its first of five goals 1:24 into the game. The Orange scored again in the first period, twice in the third and once early into the fourth period.

Syracuse outshot KSU 19-12. The Flashes had only three shots on goal, all from McCrudden, to SU’s 13. The Flashes’ sophomore goalie, Cecile van Eijck, had eight saves total.

The Flashes play Hofstra (1-3) Saturday and Maine (1-3)  Sunday next weekend. Both games are at Maine. KSU opens MAC play at home Sept. 18 against Appalachian State, which is picked to finish third in the conference.

Isabella Schreck is sports editor. Contact her at [email protected].