Women’s lacrosse wins home-opener in 10-point victory

Matthew Francos, Reporter

The Kent State women’s lacrosse team had eight different goal scorers in a 15-5 win in its home-opener against Delaware State.

The Flashes controlled possessions with 37 shots and 33 ground balls. Kent State’s defense stifled the Hornets by only allowing 17 shots and forcing 20 turnovers.

“It felt a little like a trap game, and we’re gonna have to grind,” coach Brianna Tierney said. “I’m proud of the score differential… and having eight different goal scorers is amazing”.

Kent State started the game hot with five goals in the opening quarter. Junior attack Jackie Wolford scored two for the Flashes. 

Delaware State (2-4) hung around in the second quarter, as Kent State scored just two goals. Sophomore attack Allie Lee scored one of her four goals in the game to make the score 7-2 at halftime.

The Flashes continued the aggressiveness from halftime to score another five goals in the third quarter. Graduate student midfielder Claire Welter scored her first goal of the season to make the score 12-3 heading into the final period. 

Kent State made stops in the fourth quarter and was able to let its starters rest. Freshman Riley Floyd notched her first collegiate goal. 

“It’s tough to not get the opportunity to get on the field,” Tierney said. “Being able to get those players who don’t get to see a lot of time on the field and get them goals is awesome”. 

Lee was the team’s leading scorer with four goals, and senior Morgan Kubicki led the team with three assists to go along with a goal of her own. 

“The biggest thing that was a red flag today was discipline,” Tierney said. “We will be focusing on ourselves and continuing to get better”.

Kent State (3-3) will continue its home stand against St. Francis (3-1) at noon Friday in Dix Stadium. 

Matthew Franos is a reporter. Contact him at [email protected]