Track splits to conquer in All-Ohio and Hilltopper meets

Kent State senior Donovan Tolbert competes in the men’s high jump during the track and field M.A.C. Championships on Saturday, Feb. 27, 2016.

Samantha Lough

On Saturday, Kent State’s track team competed in the Kentucky Hilltopper relay. Senior William Barnes began his season with a time of 13.68 seconds in the 110-meter hurdle—the eighth-fastest time for the event in the country.

Barnes’ 4×100-meter relay team finished second. He also came away with a 200-meter dash second place finish.

Also in the 200-meter race was senior Wayne Gordon, who finished third. Junior Matthew Tobin finished fourth in the 400-meter race. Senior Grant Onken finished fourth in his 800-meter race and went on to finished third in the 1500-meter race.

In the field events, redshirt-junior Reginald Jagers came away with two first place finishes in the hammer throw and discus. Senior Donovan Tolbert placed second in the triple jump with a 15’31”50 2 3/4.

In the high jump, senior Roosevelt Dotson placed third, jumping 6 8 3/4, and freshman Abdul-Nasser Seidu placed ninth.

On the women’s side, redshirt-freshman Jai’Lyn Mosley placed first in the discus, throwing 155’01/10”. Senior Roseanne Erickson placed second in the long jump, jumping 19’8/10, and junior Lauren Pannell finished second in the high jump.

Sophomore Gabrielle Figueroa placed third in the hammer throw with a toss of 183 feet. Juniors Rebecca Leppelmeier and Ada Nicholson-Burley also placed in the discus, while junior Anna Lombardo placed fifth in the javelin.

While part of the track team competed in the Kentucky Hilltopper relay meet, distance and multi0event runners traveled to Athens to compete in the All-Ohio Outdoor Championships.

On the men’s side, senior Jesse Oxley and the women’s sophomore Morgan Estes both placed first in their perspective pole-vault events. Junior Kyle Schlumbohm and sophomore Samantha Tollerud both placed in the pole vault events as well.

Freshman Morgan Bing placed second in the 10,000-meter run with a time of 38:23:40.

Redshirt-senior Tyler Jones took first place in the men’s decathlon and sophomore Ryan Looser placed second. Jones placed first in the decathlon 10-meter hurdles, high jump and the pole vault. Looser placed fifth in the 100-meter dash, third in the 400-meter race and second in the 110-meter hurdles and pole vault decathlon events.

“We are happy with this weekends performances, but are still looking to improve,” said Assistant Coach Phil Rickaby.

Overall, the women’s team finished the All-Ohio Outdoor Championships in eighth, while the men finished fifth. The next outdoor meet will be in Akron at the Northeast Ohio Quad on April 15.

Samantha Lough is a sports reporter for The Kent Stater. Contact her at [email protected].