Best sandwich shop

Sophia Lucente

Carl Picelle, his wife and staff work hard making their sandwiches for customers during a lunch rush at their downtown Kent business, Franklin Square deli.

Sophie Young, Reporter

FIRST: Franklin Square Deli

When your partner asks to go to a restaurant where you watch the chef make the food in front of you – take them to Franklin Square Deli.

For almost 40 years, the deli has been serving its specialty sandwiches as customers look on, choosing their custom combinations. Located on the corner of South Water Street and West Main Street, the popular spot has about forty options to choose from on its menu.

“After 39 years, we’ve got the pinnacle of all our best sellers on the menu right now,” said Carl Picelle, the owner of Kent’s favorite sandwich shop. If you’re looking to try a sandwich, Picelle suggests his favorite – the Cuban.

“It’s pressed on a panini and the ciabatta bread gets nice and crispy,” Picelle said. “It’s a wonderful sandwich.”

SECOND: Twisted Meltz

Every Kent State student can look up at the menu at Twisted Meltz and see the names of Kent State graduates throughout the years.

Owner Steve Tannous names every melt after a famous Kent State alumni, honoring the community where the business began. Located in Acorn Alley, Twisted Meltz opened its doors in 2013. Student and local clientele gravitated toward the cheesy menu items ever since.

People sit inside Twisted Meltz located in acorn alley in downtown Kent. (Sophia Lucente)

“It’s pretty much the best melted cheese spot around,” general manager Jessica Elmore-Riggins said.

The menu includes more than just cheese. Twisted Meltz serves vegan and gluten free options as well.

THIRD: Penn Station East Coast Subs

A sub shop with the popular Philly cheesesteak, Penn Station East Coast Subs is busy serving Kent State students. It’s more than a fast food shop, said Melinda Gaiter, the general manager of three years. Customers can enjoy a meal with friends.

“You can order, you can dine in with us,” Gaiter said. “We actually bring your food to you, and we actually can take your trays and stuff where you can kind of come in and relax and just enjoy the environment.”

Gaiter said staff does everything to serve customers.

Both students and Kent locals order subs from the shop. Gaiter said the classic Italian and chicken teriyaki subs are also popular.

Located near campus at 115 N. Willow St., students and Kent residents can dine-in, order takeout or have food delivered.

Sophie Young is a reporter. Contact her at [email protected].

Kelly Krabill is the managing editor. Contact her at [email protected].