Best event/festival

Briana Phillips, Reporter

Kent State student Derek Kleinhenz and his friend out on Frat Row early in the morning on Fake Paddy’s Day. (Matthew Brown)

FIRST: Fake Paddy’s Day

The streets are flooded by students wearing green on the day Kent students know and love, Fake Paddy’s Day. Students wake up early to start off the day by drinking, attending parties and bar hopping.

Like most of the fraternities around campus, Tau Kappa Epsilon held an annual Fake Paddy’s Darty or day party. Sophomore architecture major and member of Tau Kappa Epsilon, Xy Payne-Greeno, said that the best part of Fake Paddy’s Day is the culture around it.

“Everyone coming together, having a good time and that sense of community,” Payne-Greeno said. “It’s just something you have to experience and be a part of!”

SECOND: Heritage Fest

What is the Heritage Festival without plenty of live entertainment, a car show, and a children’s area? The event is organized by the Kent Area Chamber of Commerce, and this year marks the 23rd annual festival.

Attendees can enjoy local music, food and craft booths, then enjoy fireworks at the end of the night. 

Kaitlyn Goldinger takes a photo with 2 clowns downtown during Kent Halloween early Oct. 27, 2019. (Isabel Brinegar)

THIRD: Halloween

Halloween is the one night of the year where you can be whatever you want, and this remains true for Kent students. Party goers dress up and hop between bars and house parties.

For junior human development and family studies major, Alyssa Steffey, Halloween is worth more than just a day of celebration. “I feel like Halloween is a great time for people to be themselves but in an alter ego,” Steffey said. “We normally go out and dance. We do it for two weekends leading up to Halloween and maybe a week after.”

Briana Phillips is a reporter. Contact her at [email protected].