Best Place to Have Fun Under 21

The+Brewhouse

The Brewhouse

Blythe Alspaugh

Photo

The Brewhouse

Finding places to hang out at around downtown Kent can be hard if you’re underage. Many restaurants downtown don’t let anyone under 21 inside after a certain hour.

The Brewhouse is not such a place. Located on North Water Street in downtown Kent, it’s a short walk from campus and is the winner for best place to go when you’re under 21.

“Every time I’ve gone there, it’s been a lot of fun,” junior exercise science major Marina Olivo said. “It’s a nice, chill environment to hang out at.”

The Brewhouse features karaoke nights, pool tables, and an arcade, as well as occasional giveaways such as concert tickets. In addition to this, the establishment brings in live bands and comedians from time to time, offering a wide variety of entertainment that can appeal to Kent State students across the board.

Photo

Firefly

When you’re under 21 in a college town, it can be hard to find places to go where you won’t be kicked out once the drinking hour hits. Fortunately, Firefly isn’t one of those places.

The hookah bar, located on Water Street in downtown Kent, has a laid-back atmosphere with a variety of hookah flavors and enough space for both large and small groups.

“I like that it’s something different to do,” said Michael Rosengarten, a sophomore computer information systems major. “Where I’m from, there’s not really a place like [Firefly] to go to. It’s just a fun place.”

Firefly is a short walk from campus and with an intimate feel and stress-free environment, it ranks second as the best place to go when you’re under 21.

Photo

Kent Lanes

If you’re looking for something to do with your friends on a Friday night that doesn’t include hitting up house parties or the bars downtown, look no further than Kent Lanes.

“It’s a really fun place to go and hang out with people,” Thomas Haase said, a junior visual communication design major. “The games are cheap and it’s pretty relaxing.”

The bowling alley in Kent offers games at $3 during the week and $3.50 on the weekends per person, per game, and is a great place to spend a Friday evening with friends.

Contact Blythe Alspaugh at [email protected]