Best place to cure a hangover

Janson McNair

A wall is dedicated to Elvis Presley at Mike’s Place, located at 1700 S. Water St.

Harleyann McQuaid, Reporter

FIRST: Mike’s Place

Mike’s Place offers more than 30 all-day breakfast items and a multiple-page menu of lunch and dinner options, with item names such as “Bob’s Bigfoot Breakfast Bonanza,” “The Haddock that Ate Cleveland” sandwich and the “Redneck Omelet.”

Guys Pizza Co., which offers Chicago-style and oven-baked pizzas, gets a lot of business on weekends according to store owner Evan Lundberg.

Whether stumbling in with a headache in the afternoon or strolling in during the morning, customers will see posters, signs and other decor from floor to ceiling.

“Friday and Saturday are always big pizza days,” Lundberg said. “And we’re open till 3 a.m. so we get the bar crowd all those nights.”

Tobin Rogers, a manager and partial owner of Mike’s Place who has worked at the restaurant for 34 years, said the most popular itemis the reuben. “The Reuben!!!!!” is corn beef topped with sauerkraut, swiss cheese and Thousand Island dressing on three slices of grilled rye.

With hundreds of customers daily, Rogers said Mike’s Place is not only for college students, but for everyone.

“We have regulars,” Rogers said. “We have families and college students.”

Mike’s Place offers super-sized experiences such as its “Stu-anator” burger challenge, named after a former employee, where customers try to eat a burger with six patties and a variety of toppings.

Stu-anator champions eat for free, get their picture on the wall and receive a Mike’s Place shirt.

SECOND: Wild Goats Cafe

Wild Goats Cafe offers a homestyle environment, according to employee Mai West.

“If you know about [Wild Goats Cafe], you love it,” West said.

In addition to breakfast and brunch staples, the spot offers special deals on “Buck Buck” Wednesdays, where a few of its meat, potato, egg and drink options are sold for $2 or less each.

Wild Goats Cafe also recently released a collection of FizziMoo drinks, which is soda or coffee with flavors and toppings added in.

Tim Cole, the manager of Wild Goats Cafe, said he and his coworkers give guests a good experience.

“Everyone is really skilled at every position,” he said. “It creates a better experience for the guest when everyone has their interests in mind.”

THIRD: Over Easy

The best way to cure a hangover is to keep drinking, according to an Over Easy Facebook post from March 18. 

Over Easy offers eggs, sandwiches, a list of sides, and pancakes 13 inches across. 

Owner Shannon Zemba said she supplies guests with new experiences and exciting menu additions whenever they enter her door. 

“We make homemade soups everyday,” she said. “We do different specials throughout the week daily. We also have a milkshake of the moment every month”

Over Easy also offers homemade meals  and all are made in house. 

“We smoke our own pork here,” co-owner Chad Zemba said. “I would say this sounds cliché, and I’m sure every business says this, but it’s actually one of the best I’ve ever had.”

s a better experience for the guest when everyone has their interests in mind.”

Harleyann McQuaid is a reporter. Contact her at [email protected]