Best place to study

Gabby+Smith+works+at+the+Kent+State+Library%2C+which+is+located+at+1125+Risman+Drive.+

Janson McNair

Gabby Smith works at the Kent State Library, which is located at 1125 Risman Drive.

Kayla Gleason, Reporter

FIRST: University Library

The community has voted the University Library as the best place to study for the 10th year in a row. With 12 floors providing different learning environments, University Library has the space for people in need of a quiet room to read, a booth for group studying or a spot to print out an essay. 

Melissa Wallick, who works as a tutor through the library, said the numerous options the University Library offers makes the spot popular. 

“You have a lot of places that can support different methods of learning,” Wallick said. “The fourth is somewhere you can hang out with friends, but then the sixth floor is really quiet so you can get a lot of work done.” 

University Library allows students to collaborate by offering group study rooms, spaces that encourage a more talkative space and a Starbucks café on the first floor. Students who wish to work individually may find the eighth floor accommodating, as it is a designated quiet study area. 

In addition to the many study spaces, each floor offers a variety of resources, including the Academic Success Center, Writing Commons and One Stop for Student Services. 

According to Wallick, tutoring offered through the Academic Success Center is especially beneficial. 

“Drop-in here is really convenient for a lot of students, because if they have a class, you know, soon after they can pop in really quick and ask a question, or they can be here for an extended period of time,” she said. “It’s not just if you’re struggling, but also if you sort of want to dive deeper into your learning, which is nice.” 

University Library is open from 7:30 a.m. to midnight Monday through Thursday.

SECOND: Last Exit Books and Coffeehouse

According to manager Cassady Troyer-Schnippel, Last Exit Books and Coffeehouse provides a comfortable study environment for Kent students. 

“It’s a very open and welcoming place,” Troyer-Schnippel said. “It’s very nice and cozy too. People are just able to sit there for a long time.” 

In addition to people watching through the large windows in the front of the store, students can order a variety of coffee drinks from regular brewed coffee to pour-over and French press, as well as local baked goods. 

Last Exit Books was nominated for the top three “Best Places to Study.” Last Exit Books is located at 124 E. Main St. (Emma Van Winkle)

The spot originally opened as a discount bookstore in 2004. Last Exit sells secondhand and new books as well as a growing record collection, which is a major part of the appeal to students, Troyer-Schnippel said. 

“There’s a bunch of seating, so people can come and sit down and drink coffee or tea while listening to great music that changes day-to-day,” she said. “You’re also able to take a break from studying and walk around the store and look at the products and merchandise that we have for sale.” 

Last Exit is located in downtown Kent, which is a short commute for students looking to study either after classes or on the weekends. 

THIRD: Scribbles Coffee Co.

Scribbles Coffee Co. opened in 2007 and offers a variety of coffees and baked goods for students who want to study before or after classes. 

Scribbles owner Beth Buezar attributed the spot’s popularity to the coffeehouse’s friendly environment. 

“The product is a very high-quality product, and the atmosphere alone is very warm and welcoming,” Buezar said. “We hope that people will come and meet up with friends, study and hang out here.” 

Kent State alumna Poppy Henrikson (left) and junior Polina Kisileva (right) work behind the counter at Scribbles Coffee Co. March 15, 2023. Scribbles Coffee Co. received several Best of Kent nominations and is located at 237 N. Water St. (Matthew Brown)

If students are looking for quintessential coffeehouse vibes, then they should go to Scribbles, according to Buezar. 

Customers can order items at the counter in the front half of the store and then study at the many tables in the back. People can also study, chat and sit by the big window in the front of the coffeehouse. 

The coffeehouse sells coffee and espresso drinks and over a dozen roasts available for free local delivery. 

“We’re a full coffee house,” she said. “We have lattes, mochas, cappuccinos, all that good stuff. We roast that all here as well. You can pick up a bag of our locally roasted coffee.”

Kayla Gleason is a reporter. Contact her at [email protected]